Re: vCard RDF merge....

On 23/7/09 11:07, Peter Mika wrote:

>> peter - would you share those publicly, please?
>
> Sure, here is my cost/benefit analysis on tel as a resource:
>

> Benefits:
>
> -- Slightly easier data integration, e.g. using SPARQL queries. However,
> how many people are doing data integration using SPARQL alone?
> -- We would like to be compatible with the ontology... (or should the
> ontology be changed?)
>
> Costs:
>
> -- Gives the illusion of a resource that you can dereference. Tom Heath
> these days is on the road with an excellent Linked Data presentation
> that explicitly advises against using non-http URIs.
> -- There is not much anyone would ever want to say about a phone number,
> which would be the most common reason for making something a resource.
> -- Sites owner are expected to read an RFC on how to write down a
> telephone number, and then figure out the transformation from their
> internal representation to the scheme. Not likely to happen...
> -- Search engines index URIs differently than literals or not at all. In
> this case, this behaves as a literal in that I want it to be indexed.

Also consider recent changes to vCard underway at IETF: see
http://danbri.org/words/2008/06/25/348 for a summary.

Latest seems to be
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-08.txt

"""7.4.  Communications Properties

    These properties are concerned with information associated with the
    way communications with the object the vCard represents are carried
    out.

7.4.1.  TEL

    Purpose:  To specify the telephone number for telephony communication
       with the object the vCard represents.

    Value type:  A single URI value.  It is expected that the URI scheme
       will be "tel", as specified in [RFC3966], but other schemes MAY be
       used.
"""

Mention is also made of the mailto: URI scheme (surely this is still ok
to use, privacy issues aside), and a "geo" URI scheme
[I-D.mayrhofer-geo-uri] that I don't know much about.

If the goal of this vocabulary is to reflect the IETF vCard vocab,
keeping close to trends in vCard-land might be prudent...

cheers,

Dan