Re: questions about "Languages with Self-Reference I" (Perlis85)

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Sandro Hawke wrote:

> > > Note to self: this is a poor way to address this problem.  Much better
> > > would be to simply ask at the bottom: "May I archive your response on
> > > the web as part of my research notes, or would you prefer I keep it
> > > confidential?"
> >
> > I thought it worked quite well. Particularly as anyone replying and
> > copying www-archive will get a msg from gerald's list archive permissions
> > system, so advance warning is useful.
>
> But he didn't include it on his CC, and he didn't say anything about
> it, and there was nothing in his mail that shouldn't be archived as
> far as I can tell.
>
> Speaking of which, why didn't you keep www-archive in your cc?  :-)

Oh, oops, I meant to. No matter. Re-adding :)

> www-archive is an elegant hack, but it would sure be nice to just have
> a proper shared database of e-mail!

IMAP has some such facilities. Bristol Uni uses shared IMAP folders a lot.
Seems to be a lot of overlap between IMAP and HTTP though; maybe
someone'll do a Web-service based workalike sometime.

Dan

--
mailto:danbri@w3.org
http://www.w3.org/People/DanBri/