RE: Issue 250 resolution

Gudge writes:

>> In general I don't consider the text in issue
>> resolutions to be prescriptive. We long ago
>> decided that editors had the latitude to
>> incorporate as they saw fit.

Hmm.  I must say that as WG member that's real news to me.   I guess I've
always taken resolutions at face value:  some mandate details including
text, and some don't.   I expect the WG says what it means.  Certainly in
schemas, if the resolution specifically said explicitly "change text A to
text B" then we schema editors interpreted that as either it will be
pretty much exactly B, or else we will warn the workgroup that we've taken
some liberties and await a reading that it's within our discretion.   If
the resolution said something less precise, then we assumed it was indeed
as you suggest the editors' job to come up with wording, and that the
resulting wording did not need explicit approval of the workgroup.

Obviously, it's a bit late to discover this difference of interpretation,
so I suppose there's not much to do but focus on the specifics of
individual issues.  If there are any others in the post FTF batch  where
the WG specifically suggested text, and you happen to remember that we did
not use something quite close, I think it might be worthwhile to at least
verify among ourselves that we've truly acted in the spirit of the WG.
Again, I understand it's late, and to the extent this is impractical or a
burden I'm prepared to skip it and move on   ( and I realize that even
suggesting this is making the quite questionable presumption that my
interpretation of the WG's intent is in some sense correct.)

Perhaps we should at least quietly alert David to the policy we've taken,
to make sure that he understands.  Are you sure he's aware?  I'm a little
concerned that we have sent resolutions to third parties saying
essentially "the text will now read X, are you happy with this?", and then
they'll find that the text does not in fact read X.  I suppose that's a
bit how I felt on 250.

So, regarding 250:  yes, thanks for your understanding, I'll make the
change (probably this evening).

Again, thank you for your patience with this concern, which I'm sure comes
across at best as a picky nuissance.  Please take no offense or concern at
any confusion this misunderstanding might seem to cause.   We're all doing
our best, and you (and some others) have certainly borne a major load on
behalf of the WG, especially the last few weeks.

Thanks.  I hope you understand my concern in this area.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

"Martin Gudgin" <mgudgin@microsoft.com>
09/04/02 06:09 PM

        To:     <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
        cc:     "Nilo Mitra" <EUSNILM@am1.ericsson.se>, "Henrik Frystyk Nielsen"
<henrikn@microsoft.com>, "Marc Hadley" <marc.hadley@sun.com>,
"Jean-Jacques Moreau" <moreau@crf.canon.fr>, "W3C Public Archive"
<www-archive@w3.org>
        Subject:        RE: Issue 250 resolution

Noah,

In general I don't consider the text in issue resolutions to be
prescriptive. We long ago decided that editors had the latitude to
incorporate as they saw fit.

With respect to 250 specifically, I can't remember exactly what my
thought process was, but it was probably along the lines of 'which have
special significance in a SOAP message' is redundant on the grounds that
if they weren't special we wouldn't put them in the spec.

Or it's entirely possible I just wasn't paying attention.

If you want to add the text in then go ahead.

Gudge

P.S. Adding the archive.

ttingblock
[3]