Re: IMPORTANT: your message to www-annotation

(sorry for the slow reply, I am slowly catching up with email
after returning from vacation)

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 11:02:35AM -0000, Jim Ley wrote:
> "W3C List Manager" <aa-sender@w3.org>
> > and follow the simple procedure listed to give us permission to include
> > your message in our Web archives. (It should take less than one minute
> > of your time, and only needs to be done once.)
> >
> > If you do not give us this permission by Thu Oct 17 10:24:29 UTC 2002,
> > your message will be deleted from our systems without being distributed
> > to the list.
>
> Hi, I have two problems with the current procedure, I currently do not
> have http access to w3.org (simple network problems, but I'm often
> offline), and who knows when I'll get it back, whilst it's quite unusual
> for me to be away from http access for the 7 day timeout it's not unique,
> however being away from e-mail is a much rarer occurance, and I feel that
> for an email list, you should be able to perform all the actions by
> email, and not rely on http methods, which may not be available.

I agree it would be good for the system to accept confirmations
by email as well as HTTP; that's on the todo list, but I am not
sure when I will have a chance to work on it.

In the meantime I don't think this will inconvenience many
people, since I expect most regular W3C participants have
fairly reliable HTTP access.

If you select the option that says:

 ... [ ] This permission applies to any messages I send to any W3C
         list in the future. No need to ask me again.

you shouldn't need to use the form again. (unless you change
email addresses)

> > Please do not reply; mail sent to this address is not read by anyone.
>
> This is my other problem, I do not believe it is "right" for an e-mail
> address to come from a source which responding to does nothing, at the
> very least you can have a reply-to containing the same information as is
> contained in the actual e-mail.

I sympathize with this because I think everything should be
signed by someone, but in this case at least 99% of these
messages will be going to spammers, who will either ignore the
replies or try to use them to harvest more email addresses.

If someone does reply to aa-sender@w3.org they will receive an
autoreply with links to documentation and the address for feedback.

thanks for your comments,

--
Gerald Oskoboiny     http://www.w3.org/People/Gerald/
tel:+1-613-261-6630             mailto:gerald@w3.org