Re: Definition: Operating Environment

Jon Gunderson wrote:

> Ian,
> I propose we add to the definition of "operating environment" [1] the
> additional capabilities that a user agent may add to the conventional
> capabilities of the operating system.   I think this is important in the
> area of highlight mechanisms to include border styling.  Border styling is
> typically not a part of most operating systems, but is available on
> browsers that supprt CSS.

I disagree. The user agent doesn't add anything to the environment in a
way that can be reused by other software. The UA may support border
styling,
but can other software make use of that capability? The only thing that
the UA
adds are the functionalities that it provides, and those are available
through
the UI and APIs.

 _ Ian

> Jon
>
> [1]
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WD-UAAG10-20010714/glossary.html#def-operating-environment
> Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
> Coordinator of Assistive Communication and Information Technology
> Division of Rehabilitation - Education Services
> MC-574
> College of Applied Life Studies
> University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
> 1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820
>
> Voice: (217) 244-5870
> Fax: (217) 333-0248
>
> E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu
>
> WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund
> WWW: http://www.w3.org/wai/ua

Cell:                    +1 917 450-8783