Re: [PROPOSAL] Checkpoint 4.1Configure text size.

From: "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Checkpoint 4.1Configure text size.
Date: Wed, Jul 11, 2001, 10:54 AM

<snip>

> I would not object to a clarification that we are not talking
> about text drawing capabilities of the operating environment but font
> size (and family) selection services that are conventional in the
> operating enviornment.
>
> So, tell me if this makes sense:
>
> <NEW4>
> Allow the user to choose from among the full range of font sizes offered
> by the conventional font selection mechanism of the operating environment.
> If the operating environment does not offer such a mechanism, allow
> the user to choose from among the full range enabled by conventional
> text drawing APIs of the operating environment.
> </NEW4>

This addresses all the concerns I had about Checkpoint 4.1, and encourages
better design that is more consistent with the operating environment.

So, yes, your proposal makes a whole lot of sense.

> I like the idea of a cascade, but I am not familiar enough with the
> operating enviornment mechanisms in play here to say whether this
> specific one makes sense.

It makes _a_lot_ of sense, and this is far simpler than a cascade.

If the OS has a standard font size UI, developers are encouraged to use it,
or provide at least as much functionality as it.

If the OS has no font size UI, then developers are encouraged to simply
provide the full range of sizes available at the next lower level - the OS
API.

Either way, consistency with the operating environment is encouraged, at as
high a level as possible.

Thanks,

Tantek