Re: PROPOSAL(revised): User Agent Types

I am going to restate my case after all.

Defining User Agent types is a complex task. Getting them wrong would have
significant consequences for the utility of any conformance statement, and
possibly for the guidelines themselves.

Understanding whether a checkpoint/Guideline is relevant to a particular
User Agent, based on a conformance statement which includes something like

  Guidelines and checkpoints must be imlemented natively (unless otherwise
  indicated) by user agents which (natively) render the features in
  question. Foe example, a monochrome user agent which allows various
  fonts to be used must implement checkpoints/guidelines which apply to
  font-family, or size, whereas a speech output device need not. (Of
  course a speech output device may render different fonts using different
  voices via some mapping or an audio style sheet)

requires a small amount of common sense.

Arguing, against a 'common sense understanding' (which is a legally
sensible formulation in many parts of the world), that one is not required
to implement a particular guideline, in either case, merely requires a
good grasp of sophistic logic and rhetoric, and a motive to do so.

Therefore it seems to me that our energy could be better spent working on
the guidelines and checkpoints themselves.

--Charles McCathieNevile -  mailto:charles@w3.org
phone: * +1 (617) 258 0992 *  http://purl.oclc.org/net/charles
       **** new phone number ***
W3C Web Accessibility Initiative -  http://www.w3.org/WAI