Re: Announcement: New Issues List for UA Guideliines

Response to Scott Luebking:
It sounds like this problem fits into two or more current categories.

Sections:

Orientation: Document summary information should include information about
the number and composition of forms in a document.

Table rendering: It sounds like the side by side layour of the forms was
probably done with tables.

Scripting: Since this form did not have a submit button, it may have been
using scripting methods to process the form input.

But we may still want to have a section on form controls that they be
rendered in an accessible way for third party assistive technology.
Jon

At 10:26 PM 12/7/98 -0800, Scott Luebking wrote:
>Hi, John
>I'm not sure if this is on the list, but I think we should talk about
>what additional information is needed to be presented on rendering
>of web pages to help people navigate forms.
>
>Recently I was asked to evaluate why a blind user was having problems
>using a web page.  Well, it turns out there were two forms on the
>page next to each other.  To make matters more confusing, each
>form consisted of a combo box with no submit buttons.  The user
>couldn't figure out that there were actually two forms and no
>submit buttons.
>
>My suggestion is that a browser has the option of rendering additional
>information for each form.  I believe it would be extremely helpful
>if the beginning and end of each form is marked.  The beginning
>part should include a brief analysis of the form like number of
>radio button groups, number of submit buttons, etc.  Also, it
>would be extremely useful if the tab key stopped on the beginning
>and end of each form so that the blind user can get a sense
>of the extent of each form.
>
>Could you please add this to the list of open suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>Scott

1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820