Re: Table linearization (was: A table navigation technique)

to follow up on what Jon Gunderson said:

> We have also been lacking any significant discussion of how
> this may be implemented in browser other than it can be done
> through third party assistive technology manipulating the DOM.

There are concepts for how this could be integrated into the CSS
implementation in a browser that were identified in the earlier
review of CSS2.  This is basically to allow CSS selectors to
follow logical relationships in the document model, and to let
the user control document flow as well as finish.

Examples of following logical relationships:

	what column am I in? column group(s)? row group(s)?
	what header am I immediatly {under, over, after, before}
	what headers am I ultimately {"}
	what is the label for this control?

These are things that are deterministic given a well-formed
document, but not accessible via CSS selectors at this time.
I haven't checked on the DOM implementation of closing these loops.

So, one way to implement linearization in the W3C web technology
would be to

	1) define a core aural flow model, parallel to the
	present visual flow model as presented in the CSS2 Recommendation

	2) provide a default binding of HTML4.0 structures
	to this aural flow model

	3) allow personality sheets (whether called style sheets
	or behavior sheets) to override the defaults and user
	sheets to override the author sheets as was corrected in CSS2.

	4) the UI gives the user a high-level choice of flow
	model plus on-the-fly control of the same
	presentation content/flow/property rules as the personality
	sheets do; as with document templates there is a separate
	question on exit whether to save the current presentation
	mode as default in the user's personality sheet.

I agree with Paul that for many uses the ability to select an
arbitrary (non-contiguous) sub-table of the table is desirable.
This is accomplished via the above strategy by selecting the
visual flow model and adjusting display:[show | hide | minimize]
setings on the fly in the presentation-directive state of the
browse session or table object.

Note that the absense of a <css:display="minimize"> option in the
CSS display property is a bug so far as adapting robustly to
different users' needs is concerned.  In a spreadsheet or table
filtered display it would often be useful to a) have an
indication where rows or columns have been suppressed and b) have
a convenient way to add suppressed rows or columns back into the
display.

All of this can be experienced by using print formatting in a
spreadsheet or view construction in a WYSIWYG data access tool.