Re: Point of regard, navigating elements

Point of reguard is the element or collection of elements the user is
currently focusing on.

The viewport is the current portion of the document that is "visible" to
the user whether they are using speech, Braille or a video display.

The view is the rendering format of a document.  Therefore a document can
have different views of the content based on user requirements.

At 05:10 AM 11/12/98 +1100, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>My take on what's going on with point of regard:
>
>Point of regard is the collection of things in the users 'view' -
>the window for a graphic browser.
>
>I think that this is not what everyone else thinks. (Which is relevant to
>what I wrote to Marja
>
>I think what everyone else thinks is that the viewport is the window, and
>the point of regard is whatever is focussed/selected/at the insertion
>point. Can somebody clarify this a bit? (Ian?)
>
>And more importantly:
>the user must be able to navigate element by element - not just headers
>and links, but from one element to another. This would enable table
>navigation straight away, in a simple manner. That would also allow a
>compromise on table linearisation - to get decent context information for
>a cell it is necessary to have a better linearised table, which will
>probably then get shifted to 3rd party requirement.
>
>Charles McCathieNevile

1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Voice: 217-244-5870