Re: Comments to UA Guidelines

Comment interpersed - look for CMcCN: and MRK:

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Marja-Riitta Koivunen wrote:
> The user agent must facilitate orientation ...
>
> !!Provide also information of the hierarchical navigation bar (actually we
> should have some special mark-up for these so it could be even shown in its
> own viewport).
CMcCN:
This was discussed last week in page authors group. There we were talking
about using DIV and SPAN as markup, so being ble to navigate by those
elements (as well as headers, links, etc etc) should provide a solution.
MRK:
> page 6
>
> ... user agents should avoid displacing the viewport away from the user's
> point of regard as this can disorient users.
>
> !!Don't understand. Isn't the viewport or several viewports always there?
CMcCN:
The point is that if the viewport is going to be suddebly moved (for
example by following a link) the user should be notified. I think that
the treatment of this is not quite sufficient, since moving the viewport
by following a link is a natural consequence, and should be expected.
Moving it becuase of a pop-up window, auto-refresh which redirects after
some arbitrary time, and such-like are problems.

MRK:

> For paper it is difficult to indentify the point of regard more precisely
> than the entire page. ...
>
> !!What about the insertion point? I thought that was point of regard also?
CMcCN:
The Insertion point may or may not be in the point of regard. Imagine
using MSWord - the insertion point can be placed somehwere, and then tyhe
user can scroll through teh document, so that the insertyion pointis not
in the current point of regard (where that is defined as the visible part
of the document).
MRK:

> 3 The user agent must be ...
>
> Ideally able bodied ...
> most ablebodied peers do not know about features that improve accessibility
> or do not find them useful their own use ...
>
> !!Really? At least there should be something about how they could be useful
> with mobile devices, slow connections etc.
CMcCN:
Agreed

Charles McCathieNevile