Re: Events

There does not seem to be a good model for developers to use for adding
keyboard access to their interfaces using scripting languages.  It maybe
that elements with keyboard events need to become active elements, and in
many cases they already are.  For examples filtering the characters that go
into an edit box control.  We just need to extend the list of active
elements to any element with a keyboard even.  I think that if elements
with keyboard events can receive the focus from the UA (again through
keyboard commands), then it might solve some of these problems.  There
would also need to be author indication of what keys are available for that
element or sometype of UA indication.
JOn

At 08:07 AM 10/30/98 +1100, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>It's more complex than that if we use a fully audio User Interface,
>because unless there are defined audio events correpsonding to each
>Keyboard event then it won't work. My concern, which mirrors that of
>Kathy and the Microsoft Developer is that some events, such as onKeyUp
>will not be able to be easily defined as logical events, nor easily
>defined for an audio input system. (Same goes for a signing-based input
>system. There is in fact such an interface, 'reading' a glove.)
>
>Charles McCathieNevile
>
>On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Jon Gunderson wrote:
>
>> I think that we should have guidelines that say develop accessible user
>> interfaces.  Mouse based input is not inherently bad.  It is only "bad"
>> when the author (programmer) does not also have keyboard equivalents that
>> are visible to the user.   Therefore the guidelines I think should talk
>> aboutcreating an accessible user interface, not a mouseless one.
>>
>> Jon

1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Voice: 217-244-5870