Re: WCAG compliance question

I too turn off CSS some times to manually inspect a web app, but not for
all the reasons you mention.  And that is my point.

It is not the turning off CSS that is the problem, nor do I say that
turning off CSS can cause the accessibility problems.  I explain that it
is some success criteria that is or suspected to be failing and turning
off CSS may help me isolate the problem.  There is now success criteria
that fails merely by turning off CSS.  So again, if I turn off CSS and the
functionality and/or the accessibility breaks, then that is not a WCAG
conformance issue either.

If CSS is disabled, and there is functionality a user needs in order to
use a web page, even when coded into the CSS layer, that is of itself not
a WCAG conformance failure.  I'm saying that a web app can, and many do,
require that CSS *not* be disabled and still conform with the 38 level A
and double A success criteria. CSS can be a technology that can be relied
upon, period.

Maybe this example of an analogy will help illustrate my thought process.
Many have complained that using tables for layout is an accessibility
issue, but I have successfully argued that it is not merely using tables
for layout, but incorrectly using layout with *any technology* that may
causes the accessibility issue, such as causing the reading order to read
across the columns or down the rows when that is not the logical order.
Using plain text in an e-mail with spaces between words to cause a visual
appearance of columns of text that should be read down the column and not
across the rows is an example of a problem using plain text technology. In
others words its not the use of text that is causing the issue, but the
incorrect use of text and spaces to create a visual only allusion of
columns that is only understood with vision.  Its not the mere use of
table layout, nor CSS, nor text that is causing the issue either. Its how
these technologies are used.

Turning off CSS is not an accessibility *test*, but turning off CSS can be
a *technique* that may help debug an accessibility issue.  Does that make
it any clearer?
Regards,
Phill Jenkins,