RE: Alternative validation tools.

On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 22:22, Access Systems wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Tim wrote:
>
> > With all the time that is spent on great open source "free for all"
> > products on sites such as SourceForge, what do list members actually
> > think is the reason that no large scale "open-source" accessibility
> > validation tool exists.
>
> probably because there needs to be enough folks interested in a project
> before it is done...accessiblity validation is apparently a project that
> is either low priority or of low interest in the community.

I would disagree with this. I don't think accessibility is low in
priority.

Primarily, tools like Bobby would not get overloaded and neither be
viable for a commercial company like Watchfire to own if there was
little interest in accessibility validation.

Secondly, the sheer amount of work on accessibility that has gone into
the Gnome Desktop Accessibility features, which is entirely open-source,
and won an accessibility award this year for the community effort.

>  probably one of the major drawbacks of open source at this time is the
> lack of business software which is a catch 22, folks don't use open source
> because the lack of business software and business software isn't written
> because there are so few useres

This is slightly off-topic, but what is meant by "business software"? I
use the Linux OS to run a business and have no problem locating very
high quality software that suits my needs.

> heck it wasn't until just recently that we got decent open source
> accounting software.....

I still stand by the point that it is quite amazing that no open-source
accessibility software has been developed, and I cannot believe given
the dedication of the open-source community that the reasons above ring
true.

Regards,

Tim