Re: CSS Questions

At 11:50 AM +0000 2/5/02, SHARPE, Ian wrote:
>1. Is there a way to restrict the width of tables and their cells? Many
>sites (hotmail mail messages for one) have lines which are VERY long and
>with large fonts mean having to scroll horizontally to read them. I'm
>assuming you can over-ride the width settings for both <table> and <td> but
>if you don't know how many columns are in the table you might still have the
>same problem?

Yeah, this is problematic. There's no easy solution for this one,
unfortunately. You can use CSS to set width (and max-width, but there
may be support issues) but figuring out what's the right size is hard
in CSS.

>2. I have created a stylesheet which resolves many of my problems but with
>some side effects. I have configured my links to be blue as usual but if the
>anchor contain <b> tags my default white font is used.

This sounds like a problem with your CSS; are you using a universal
selector (*) to set the color?

>So, could some please recommend a browser which supports CSS2 and can be
>configured to use my own stylesheet in preference to any other style.

Mozilla or Netscape 6 is probably your best choice here. You need to
locate the  user.css file in your Mozilla subdirectories, and put your
CSS rules there.

I am working on a project to automate some of the process of creating
specialized user style sheets -- and I am looking for people who would
like to contribute CSS rules and ideas for this. If you're interested,
please write to me off-list and I'll let you know what it's all about.

--Kynn

Next Book: Teach Yourself CSS in 24       http://cssin24hours.com