D-link and LONGDESC (GL type stuff)

LONGDESC seems to be a formalisation within HTML of the D-link
convention. Unfortuantely as far as I know there are no browsers which
implement it. So using it exclusively is probably much stupider than
relying on D-links - at least they are accessible at the moment. My
preference for using both is based on the real-world situation that there
will be people relying on older browsers for at least the next year or
so, and probably longer. (Remember that some blind users, for example,
have decided to use IE3 in preference to IE4 for accessibilty reasons.)

The neatest way of including a D-link, which I saw at WWW7 presented by
some ATRC folks from Toronto, was an image of the same height as the one
being described, of minimal width ( 1 pixel for example ) with ALT="D-link".

Where images are not spaced (this can be specified) it would provide
clean pages for design-oriented authors who are loath to leave little
"D"s all over their pages, and a neat linking system that could be
understood by all browsers and folks.

I am not sure if this is a slight extension to the convention, or if it
is currently common to use image-based D-links.

Charles McCathieNevile