history re CSS and generated text

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 10:11:38 -0500 (EST)
To: Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr (Chris Lilley)
Cc: jongund@uiuc.edu, w3c-wai-hc@w3.org (HC team)
to follow up on what Chris Lilley said:

> One proposal, which would have provided richly styled generated text, as
> rejected as being too complex. A following proposal was rejected as being
> too simple and not meeting the needs of designers. Murray Maloney argued
> persuasively that generated text was needed, and at his suggestion the CSS2
> specification has a placeholder for the section on generated text.

Would you give us references to the failed proposals (too
complex, too limited) so we have an idea of the range a solution
would fall in?

This next one is tough, but would be enormously helpful.  For the
too-complex version, what are the 3-5 main ideas or capabilities
used in that proposal, and how would _you_ rank these in order of
increasing difficulty of selling them to implementors?

-- Al