Re: Collections of web pages

Thinking about this a bit more, I think that we can make the case that an EPUB is a web page under the current definition, so we can handle this in Understanding.

I think that it is fairly straightforward to make the case that an EPUB is a Web page. The definition of web page already provides for resources that are used in the rendering (e.g. a TOC document, files for different chapters) and they are certainly intended to be rendered together by a user agent:

Web page
a non-embedded resource obtained from a single URI using HTTP plus any other resources that are used in the rendering or intended to be rendered together with it by a user agent<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-user-agents>

A Set of Web Pages hinges on this definition:
set of web pages
collection of web pages<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-web-page-s> that share a common purpose and that are created by the same author, group or organization

The key difference is the fact that where there are pages that are used in the rendering of the overall resource, those are part of the “page” that is the main resource. The same applies to a web page that has an iframe where another page is rendered – we don’t evaluate that iframe-contained page as its own separate entity unless it is also viewed separately.

My analysis of the impact of this on evaluating EPUB under some key SC:

If an EPUB is a single web page:
2.4.1 Bypass blocks: Doesn’t apply. The risk is that a user might encounter navigation content that appears on every “screen” or “view” that the user encounters when navigating the EPUB content and not have a way to easily bypass it.
2.4.2 Page Titled: Applies and the “main” page title would only fail if the title didn’t reflect the publication title.
2.4.5 Multiple Ways: Doesn’t apply. The risk is that users might only have one way to locate content in the EPUB. This is not an issue for an EPUB that has a TOC.
3.2.3 Consistent Navigation: Doesn’t apply. Navigations mechanisms could appear in a different relative order, although this is unlikely for an EPUB.
3.2.4 Consistent Identification: Doesn’t apply. Components that have the same purpose throughout the EPUB (e.g. if each EPUB chapter had a “next chapter” arrow icon button with a slightly different name that wouldn’t fail this SC).

If an EPUB is a set of web pages:
2.4.1 Bypass blocks: 2.4.1 applies and content that is repeated on multiple pages needs to have a mechanism to be skipped.
2.4.2 Page Titled: Applies and each page (e.g. “War and Peace, Chapter 2”) would need to be set.
2.4.5 Multiple Ways: 2.4.5 applies and more than one mechanism is needed to locate pages within the set.
3.2.3 Consistent Navigation: 3.2.3 applies and requires that navigation mechanisms that are repeated appear in the same relative order.
3.2.4 Consistent Identification: 3.2.4 applies and requires consistent names are used for components with the same functionality.

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Head of Accessibility