Re: can we keep all the converation in the issue. - was Re: Keeping SC text in the pull request description

Hi All,

Some things to think about. Currently:

1. Comments are in 2 places:
  * The older ones are in the original issue.
  * The newer ones are usually in the pull request.

2. The original issue is labeled "closed", if it has a pull request.

3. The pull request  is labeled "closed", if it has been incorporated
into the FPWD.

4. We link to both the original issue and pull request in the FPWD. We
will likely get comments in both areas as it stands.
  * Do we want people commenting on closed issues?
  * Do we want people commenting on closed pull requests?

5. The original description in the original issue (in most cases)
cannot be edited by the SC manager. SC managers have to ask the
original issue creator to update the description. This creates:
 * Inaccurate information because the description is almost always out
of sync with the latest iteration.
 * Confusion for commenters when they comment on an old description.
 * Extra work for the original SC submitter to update descriptions.
 * A bottleneck for SC managers.

6. SC managers can update the descriptions in their own pull requests.

I agree with Alastair. I don't care where it is, as long as there is
ONE place where the manager can actually manage the SC. If it is the
issue, the SC manager would need to create a NEW issue in order to
edit the description for most of the SCs.

In any event, is there a way in GitHub to stop comments on what we in
fact decide to really close? That may help not having to track
comments in multiple places when we start soliciting public comments.

Thanks.

Kindest Regards,
Laura

--