RE: Should we require labels to be always visible?

I think there may be some confusion here…

This discussion at hand that references a ‘NOTE’ is not about a W3C Note document, it is about a NOTE under a SC or a definition in the WCAG 2 spec. So yes, all content in the spec is normative, unless it is under a section that is specifically identified as being Non-Normative…

3) NOTES  cannot add or detract from the normative statement.  They can only explain.    Since the SC below requires as LABEL OR COMPONENT WITH TEXT ALTERNATIVE  there is no requirement for a label in the SC. Just EITHER a label  OR  a component with text alternative.      So Note 1 is not a requirement — it is simply a description of what the word label means - for those who are confused.

Gregg C Vanderheiden

greggvan@umd.edu <mailto:greggvan@umd.edu>