Re: Can we put "help and support" into the wcag draft

Hi Lisa,

I think most of the issues pointed out in the issue 32 SC comments on github and in the survey remain unresolved.

As I have mentioned in my reply, this SC can leed to situations where 'improvements' meet the SC on the surface level but are not really helpful or do not solve the actual cognitive problem.

Then there is still a host of unclear definitions / concepts, e.g.:

* What qualifies as 'instruction' (for non-standard controls)? Is a meaningful label a sufficient instruction (it often might be) or does int require something extra?
* Does a custom control marked up correctly with ARIA count as 'standard'? (see Jake Abma's and Gregg's comments)
* Does a native control with strange label (Gregg's example) count as non-standard?
* What should authors make of 'real numbers' (see James Nurthen's and Steve Repsher's comments on Github)

There is probably more but I stop here.

And as I already pointed out in the survey, I still feel that many of the demands in here are already covered under other SCs and therefore overlap in unclear ways with these SCs:

- non-standard controls: overlaps with SC "3.3.2 Labels or Instructions" and SCs 1.3.1 "Info and Relationships" and  "4.1.2 Role, Name, Value"
- multi-step forms: seems in principle already covered by SC "2.4.8 Location" (again, I think this should be raised to level AA)

Long blocks of text:
- are divided... overlaps partly with 2.4.10 Section Headings
- a summary is provided: overlaps somewhat with 3.1.5 Reading Level, supplemental content

Detlev

--
Detlev Fischer
testkreis c/o feld.wald.wiese

Mobil +49 (0)157 57 57 57 45
Fax +49 (0)40 439 10 68-5

http://www.testkreis.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites