Re: CFC: 1.3.3/1.4.1 Errata

+1 for the suggested changes.

Chris Loiselle

From: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>
Date: Friday, May 19, 2017 at 5:01 PM
To: David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>, John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>
Cc: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: CFC: 1.3.3/1.4.1 Errata

1.4.1 is about not relying on color alone, and 1.3.3 is about not relying on color or other sensory characteristics alone in the instructions.

If we didn’t have 1.3.3 we wouldn’t have the other characteristics and even if a button was green and square an instruction could just reference it by the color or shape alone (instead of by both).

If we didn’t have 1.4.1 then an author would be able to create hyperlinks without only a color difference to distinguish them from surrounding text. The sweet spot for needing both of these is for parts of a page that need to be distinguished from other parts but that don’t need instructions.

e.g.

- Making invalid form controls turn red without instructions – fails 1.4.1 but not 1.3.3

- “click the red button” (the button is red and circular) - fails 1.3.3 and 1.4.1

Combining them would definitely be a non-editorial change…

Thanks,

AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick

Group Product Manager, Accessibility