RE: CFC: 1.3.3/1.4.1 Errata

Ø  although I am wondering if 1.4.1 is redundant with 1.3.3

1.3.3 is specifically about instructions and goes beyond color.  1.4.1 is specifically about color.  It does seem odd that we have a SC for just instructions – why not have a sensory characteristics SC that addresses other aspects --- I assume in the past most of those things would have also been covered under 1.3.1 Info and Relationships – but going forward where we might have more modes such as scent/smell, and other senses in VR it might make sense for future guidelines to broaden the requirement.

Jonathan

From: David MacDonald [mailto:david100@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2017 4:44 PM
To: John Foliot
Cc: Andrew Kirkpatrick; WCAG
Subject: Re: CFC: 1.3.3/1.4.1 Errata

I'm fine with it...

although I am wondering if 1.4.1 is redundant with 1.3.3

Cheers,
David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.

Tel:  613.235.4902

LinkedIn

twitter.com/davidmacd<http://twitter.com/davidmacd>

GitHub<https://github.com/DavidMacDonald>

www.Can-Adapt.com<http://www.can-adapt.com/>

  Adapting the web to all users
            Including those with disabilities

If you are not the intended recipient, please review our privacy policy<http://www.davidmacd.com/disclaimer.html>

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 3:21 PM, John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com<mailto:john.foliot@deque.com>> wrote:
+1, I support this change.

JF

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com<mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com>> wrote:
Call For Consensus — ends Tuesday May 23rd at 2:50pm Boston time.

The Working Group has discussed the addition of errata for 1.3.3 and 1.4.1 on the list (https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2017AprJun/0650.html) and on the call on Thursday and the chairs believe that there is consensus for the changes that will be reflected in the errata (https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG20/errata/) as editorial errata.

After editorial errata:

1.3.3 Sensory Characteristics: Instructions provided for understanding and operating content do not rely solely on sensory characteristics of components such as shape, color, size, visual location, orientation, or sound. (Level A)  (added “color, “)
(note removed)

1.4.1 Use of Color: Color is not used as the only visual means of conveying information, indicating an action, prompting a response, or distinguishing a visual element. (Level A)
(note removed)

For background:
Call minutes: https://www.w3.org/2017/05/18-ag-minutes.html#item01

If you have concerns about this proposed consensus position that have not been discussed already and feel that those concerns result in you “not being able to live with” this decision, please let the group know before the CfC deadline.

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Group Product Manager, Standards and Accessibility
Adobe

akirkpat@adobe.com<mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com>
http://twitter.com/awkawk

Thanks,