RE: Adding the word "meaning"?

From: Alastair Campbell [mailto:acampbell@nomensa.com]
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2017 10:31 AM

Josh wrote:
>  I do suggest adding meaning to the SC text - in order for it to be clear/explicit.
IMO, this would also support the kind of use cases that Wayne was talking about.
In the current iteration (without the font-bullet) this SC is all about colours and spacing, where the semantics are not a factor.

If & when the font bullet is added, we need to address Patrick’s point that there is no normative thing in a spec to say that icons (implemented in a background or before/after pseudo selectors) need a role.
[Jason] I would argue that they “convey” “information” which is not “available in text” and cannot be “programmatically determined” (per 1.3.1), and would therefore be a clear violation of that SC.
The only slight ambiguity is the “available in text” aspect, but, given that the Unicode string doesn’t express the necessary meaning, I think the font icons fail both of the disjuncts in 1.3.1.

Thank you for your compliance.