RE: SC 2.4.5: links in context

Using JAWS to read David's examples
(http://www.eramp.com/david/testhide.html)
*does* result in the document title appearing twice (once for the HTML
version and once for the PDF version).

I do *not* have a problem with that!

If I am only interested in PDF versions, I can bring up the links list
and press "skip past the HTML versions. If my screen reader doesn't have
a links list feature (like the Japanese screen readers Makoto mentions),
I hear all the information I need as I tab through the links on the
page.

Gregg suggests adding "beyond the current sentence" or "beyond the
current list item" to the wording I proposed for SC 2.4.5:

When a link or other programmatic reference to a delivery unit (or part
of the same delivery unit) has focus, text describing the destination is
available without changing the focus [beyond the current xxx]
</proposed.

I'm not sure about Gregg's suggestion. I understand the rationale--
there's a tricky balance between constraints imposed on the author and
demands made on the user. But "beyond the current list item" would put a
very tight constraint on the author-- it seems to say links must appear
in a list, and there may be technologies that don't support lists as a
structure; certainly there are designs that don't use lists. And "beyond
the current sentence" also seems both too narrow and too wide: the world
is full of links that aren't in sentences, too-- including the ones in
the examples David and Gregg cite, as well as many of those I cited in
my initial post.

The examples David provided don't require the user to change focus at
all, and the text-hiding  technique doesn't encumber the visual design.
Neither does using the title attribute. But those are both HTML
techniques, of course. Other technologies may not provide mechanisms for
providing supplemental information (or for hiding it)-- in which case
the proposed wording (for the SC might be needed to ensure that users
get the information they need to find content, orient themselves within
it, and navigate through it.

John

"Good design is accessible design."

Dr. John M. Slatin, Director