From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Johannes Koch
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 10:25 AM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Content Negotiation (was: Why an standalone image shall conform to
WCAG 2.0?)

Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:

> The working group decided that you can use content negotiation to get
> an alternate inaccessible version but the default had to be accessible
> since many user agents and users don't know how to do content negotiation.

Yes, many user don't know how to "do" content negotiation. However, servers
do content negotiation, even if the users don't know. A very large
proportion of user-agents lists at least some media types in the accept
header and puts at least one language in the accept-language header. So what
is the "default"? The variant that you get if no accept-
  or cookie headers were sent? This is _not_ what most users will get.
--
Johannes Koch
                             (Te Deum, 4th cent.)