Why an standalone image shall conform to WCAG 2.0? (was Re: BIG ISSUE -- re Delivery Units)

Hi Gregg,

You keep ignoring the critical question I raised in my first email to
this thread. Here is my last try. In [1] it is said:

<quote>
Conformance Notes

A delivery unit conforms to WCAG 2.0 at a given conformance level only
if all content provided by that delivery unit conforms at that level.
</quote>

That is senseless. Many DUs contain media elements that are made
accessible through the whole set of elements in the main DU, or via
linked information (e.g., longdesc). Cumbersome example: I can have in
two different iframes (or frames) a non-accessible PDF document and an
accessible HTML version of the same document. I think the page is
accessible, isn't it (ignore frame accessibility for the sake of the
argument)? Thus the issues does not lie on DUs, but on this paragraph.

Into other issues, the document follows ...

<quote>
Note: If multiple representations can be retrieved from a URI through
content negotiation, then the conformance claim would be for the
delivery unit that is returned when no negotiation is conducted (unless
the server returns an error for that condition, in which case one of the
negotiated forms must comply).
</quote>

I believe this is an over-simplification of [2]. This paragraph also
eliminates conformance claims linked to content-negotiation. For
example, what if I claim the German version of my site (available via
language negotiation) is accessible, but the english (default) is not?

regards,
carlos

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/complete.html#N102E1
[2] http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec12.html#sec12

--
Dr Carlos A Velasco - http://access.fit.fraunhofer.de/
Fraunhofer-Institut für Angewandte Informationstechnik FIT