RE: REwrite of 1.1.6

David,

	Its fine if people want to create extended audio
descriptions...but they have absolutely no obligation to do that under
our guidelines.

that's not exactly true, if someone wants to address 1.2.5 to reach
level 3 they might need to.

	But if they want to do that, it is fine to introduce code to
jump *over* audio descriptions. However, I don't think users who want to
use descriptions should be required jump *to* the descriptions and then
back again to the captions hundreds of times just to read the
descriptions. That would be like reading a novel while turning on and
off the light - a degraded experience.

I've proposed this idea based on conversations I've had with a blind
user of audio description.  I don't think that it should always be used,
but it has its place, and not always as an enhanced version.  The
likelihod that we'll see multiple versions of audio descriptions
approaches zero.  I'd like the guideline to read something like:

1.1.6 For prerecorded multimedia content, a combined document presenting
captions and audio description transcription information in a manner
that allows users to access the information in linear order.

I probably don't have the words right, but I don't think that when the
best information we have is either anecdotal or "mesearch" that the WCAG
should be precluding viable techniques.

	 It's hard for me to imagine an organization that would create
extended descriptions to help blind people and then require them to go
through the experience of jumping back and forth every couple of
sentences just to get to them. To me that is counter intuitive.

We need better data from users before declaring that counter intutive is
incorrect.

	If they want to create extended descriptions, great, put a "skip
over" link for those who don't want to read them. Our current wording
completely allows that. But I don't think we should make people who do
want to use descriptions suffer by adding all kinds of unnecessary
keystrokes just to get to the information.

I'm not suggesting that this will be the only way, or even the most
common way, just that it shouldn't be prohibited.

AWK

	Regards

	David MacDonald

	...Access empowers people