From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Loretta Guarino Reid
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 11:27 AM
To: David MacDonald; Andrew Kirkpatrick; 'Gregg Vanderheiden'; WCAG
Subject: Re: REwrite of 1.1.6

David, I would potentially expect our transcript to contain collated
captions and extended audio descriptions, that is, all the information
needed to understand the visuals, not just the amount of information that
can fit in the gaps of the dialog in the audio. And for something like a
physics class, which is presenting complex visual encodings of information,
the audio description part might well be something you'd like to skip over
when scanning for some specific piece of information.

I think the goal here is not to require any specific representation of the
information, but to be sure the information is available. I think any
"text-based" representation which is an accessible equivalent to the content
should satisfy, whether it is a plain text transcript, a marked-up html
version of the information that could contain skip links, or a version where
there is a web-like representation of the text with links to pieces of the
content.

Loretta

On 2/11/06 7:57 AM, "David MacDonald" <befree@magma.ca> wrote:

>>What's the longest description you've needed to wade through?  That might
be a factor...

It depends.The end of the movie "Apocalypse Now" had long periods of no
dialogue.In that case there would be quite a bit of description between the
dialogue. Audio descriptions are limited to the available space between
dialogue so they are generally short.

In your example of the online professor.the descriptions would be generally
very short.especially in a lecture series. and descriptions are limited to
the space between the dialogue on the video. I've never seen a professor who
doesn't talk much in a class. (oops sorry Gregg :-) )

I would also suggest that the example is not "equivalent" to that of a
sighted person but rather "enhanced" because sighted people sit through the
descriptions in the video, unless they hit the fast forward button.

If we want to create that kind of "enhanced" experience of skipping the
descriptions then I suggest put the burden on the person who wants the
enhanced experience by putting in "skip description" links (like a skip nav)
that the user can use to bounce over the descriptions. (kind of like the
sighted person who would have to hit fast forward)

That way the default presentation includes the descriptions (without having
to bounce around) and the enhanced version allows the user to skip over it
with a link.

David MacDonald

  _____