RE: Action item: resources on sign language video

Thanks for the suggestion, Roberto. Here's what I've found so far:

milestones/M5-8SiGMLStandard.pdf">
The original plan saw M5-8 proposing a final definition of SiGML that
would be offered
for adoption by W3C. The title used was "Final SiGML Proposed to W3C".
In practice, SiGML has not been used outside the ViSiCAST project so it
is unrealistic to
assume that the definition is ready to meet a wider set of needs.
Further development can
be expected through follow-on projects such as the eContent project,
eSIGN.

The E-Sign project has to do with signing content on government pages
within the European Union. It uses a plug-in (for IE and Windows only)
that displays signing avatars, and there is an authring tool which
generates SiGML output that can be rendered by the avatar.

My sense is that we shouldn't include SiGM in the Resources section *at
this time*. We can add it later if support for the language improves.

John
As far as I can tell, SiGML (Signing Gesture Markup Language) has some
promise but is used only in the E-Sign /E-Content projects . The
required plug-in is available only for Windows and IE.

"Good design is accessible design."
John Slatin, Ph.D.
Director, Accessibility Institute
University of Texas at Austin