a serouse issue at hand was: Re: [action] Reasons for not moving SC 3.2.2 up to level 1

> Please stop this non-productive thread of suggesting that we drop all
> provisions that help people with cognitive disabilities because we cannot
> think of ways to address all the needs of all of them.

Gregg I think this is  productive.
Unless I hear that it is OK to discuss this I will not make my suggestion
again - but I think it would be a mistake.

We have a serious issue at hand and my suggestion might be a  way out.

We are in a catch 22 situation. We can not devolve techniques outside
baseline technologies for the first draft (or so I was told) We can not have
success criteria without techniques, we need to promote adoptability, and we
need to get this draft to last call. But there is a problem we have not
solved yet, and I think we know that too.

Part of the suggestion of removing checkpoint 3 is that  after we go to last
call we start real work on an extension guideline that seriously addresses
barriers of understanding. This would work from the ground up, which a clear
and appropriate  mandate, specification and gap analysis to
create a true roadmap of success criteria and techniques creation for
addressing this important issue. We could now simply  remove guideline three
from the WCAG 2.0 draft , which does not achieve very much anyway.

This would enable us to:

-Make a concentrated effort to solve these issue
-We would not need to be hampered by issues such as applicability to all
sites, free speech, baseline  - People can  just conform to WCAG without the
extension
-Adoptability for access for vision would not be slowed down ( by adding
"hard to do" checkpoints)
-We will not hold up WCAG 2.0
-WCAG 2.0 will be simpler, we may be able to go down to 2 conformance levels

> Suggestions and examples - particularly of techniques that have been
> implemented successfully on multiple sites.  That is what is most useful.

Are they useful? As you know I have made tons of suggestions for years that
have been turned down because of legitimate reasons - such as applicability
to all sites, author burdens, reliant on technology outside baseline etc. I
made two drafts of an RDF technique documents ( a ton of work) that
addressed many issues, but it was taken off the critical list because it
does not fit into the baseline technologies. I have worked with LD-web, made
suggestions for CSS techniques - none of them seem to make it - all for good
reasons such as concentrating on existing success criteria. I have offered a
few time to start a small taskforce with oppositions to my perspective (such
as Joe) so that together we can make a water tight proposal. The suggestions
were not taken up but I am happy to try that again if you think it is a
better solution - I am just concerned that it will delay last call (and not
get anywhere).

All the best

Lisa