Re: Backoffice: must conform to WCAG?

On Mar 24, 2004, at 10:15 AM, Marja-Riitta Koivunen wrote:
> I think most of the data will end up to be presented to the humans in
> one way or the other even when it goes through some intermediate
> processing by the machines.

MM:
But we can't determine accessibility in a piece of content until it's
final form.

MRK:
> It is good to keep accessibility in mind when storing, retrieving and
> processing data. In that way we can make sure that when the data is
> presented for the users it has a better chance to be accessible.

MM:
Systems that store, retrieve and process data are what we call
authoring tools.
The Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 draft defines
"authoring tool" [1] as:
"Any software or service that authors may use to create or modify Web
content for publication."

Note the subsection in that definition, titled "Indirect Authoring
Functions":
"Authors have control of only high-level parameters related to the
automated production of the resulting Web content. This may include
interfaces that assist the author to create and organize Web content
without the author having control over the markup or programming
implementation." That sounds like a whole lot of Web applications out
there, to me. Certainly anything that calls itself a content management
system, at least.

It is ATAG's job to determine how to store, retrieve and process data
in Web-based applications in a way that ensures WCAG-conformant
content.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-ATAG20-20040224/#what-auth-tool

-