RE: safe selection [was: Re: RE 3.2 was 3.4]

At 11:59 AM 2004-02-26, John M Slatin wrote:

>Thanks, Al. I wasn't sure I should include the exception for Submit
>buttons, and I agree that it hsould be possible to tab to a select
>button or other control without submitting it.  Is it meaningful to
>distinguish here between receiving focus and selecting? Or is that
>meaningful only in the MS Windows context?

Focus and selection would seem to be pretty consistent across
mouse+keyboard+screen GUIs.

The User Agent Guidelines treats them as generics.

My suggestion for WCAG would be to use the definitions in UAAG 1.0 until
such time as PF can give you something better.

http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG10/glossary.html

We are actively working toward something better, but it's not worth calling
'better' yet.  We are trying to get a more precise model supported across
HTML, CSS, SVG, etc. and accessibility APIs.  Wish us luck.

But until that time, it makes sense to distinguish them, and it's
usually sufficient to treat them as defined by their entries in the glossary
in UAAG 1.0.

Al