From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Al Gilman
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 9:57 AM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: Is there a source document for every Web resource?

At 11:41 AM 2004-02-25, you wrote:
>For the rewrite of 3.2 (formerly 3.4), I'd like to know whether for all
>"host" technologies that create Web resources, there is something that
>corresponds to the source documents for static HTML pages.  Another way to
>phrase this might be: is there any Web content for which there is *not* a
>source document (or component of a source document)?

Now that I see what you are talking about[1], the answer is 'yes.'

That is to say, where the user agent is on one computer and receiving
content from a server operating on another computer across a network,
the format used in the network communication is commonly termed the
'wire format.'  The "Architecture of the World Wide Web" document talks
about this as a 'representation' of the 'resource' 'identified' by a
URI.

  http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-webarch-20031209/#msg-representation

And there are guidelines to be articulated that deals with order and
grouping in the wire format.

To the extent that the wire format exhibits order and grouping, the order
and grouping should be reasonably usable.

A pretty good test of reasonably usable order is if that order is followed
in pure-audio presentation.

Factoring this into abstract and abstract:concrete binding layers:

A: The native order of the wire format should be usable in delivery
contexts that
are highly dependent on order.

B: pure-audio presentation is a sufficiently representative example of
order-dependent delivery contexts for test purposes.

A pretty good test of reasonably usable grouping is if that grouping is used
in hierarchical single-switch navigation[2].

Factoring this one:

A: The native grouping of the wire format should be usable in delivery
contexts
which are highly dependent on order.

B: single-switch tree-descent of the content is a sufficiently
representative
grouping-dependent task for test purposes.

One may have to give consideration to higher forms of representing order and
grouping in applying this test.  The textual order of text formats and
the parse-tree hierarchy, un-filtered, of XML and HTML formats, are not
necessarily the only order and grouping to evaluate.

Examples of these higher levels:

navindex in XForms and tabindex in HTML

drawing-groups ('g' elements) in SVG with 'title' or 'desc' provided vs.
those
without.

[But marking and filtering of 'g' elements in SVG is a research topic.  It's
not clear that we can articulate a technique that would be a winner without
wider experience.]

Al

[1] There is also a possible 'no' answer to what you first asked.

<quote cite=
"http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-webarch-20031209/#representation-management">

3.6.1. Representation availability

    The authority responsible for a resource may supply zero or more
    representations of a resource.  [...]

</quote>

But the fact that a given 'urn' or 'info' URI lacks an expansion, a
"recoverable
representation" in the jargon of the web, is not a matter of disability
access
inequities.  It affects everyone equally and may be appropriate.

[2] Possible interaction protocol for hierarchical descent with single
switch.
Animate a selection style over the parse-tree branches at the current level
and
descend on receiving a switch event.  Similar to mouse-grid in voice
command,
but parse-grid instead.