RE: Issue 556 and 669 (and 506 definition of structure)

This thread is closely related to the thread about #506, in which David
and Gregg discuss a revised definition of  structure that was put
forward by David.

Earlier this week, in a message about the 506 thread [1], I wrote that I
was concerned that we were defining structure in a way that's too
HTML-specific (and too text-specific as well, though I didn't actually
say that).  I'll paste my proposed definition in here for ease of
reference; the full message at [1] includes the exchange between David
and Gregg as well  as a dictionary definition of structure that was the
starting point for mine.

<proposed>
structure
Structure refers to the set of elements and relationships that make up a
Web resource.  Elements may contain text, graphics, mathematical
equations, etc. Some elements may contain other elements, and may also
define relationships between two or more elements.   We User agents,
including Web browsers and some assistive technologies, make the
structure of Web resources evident to the user.

Some relationships are hierarchical.  For example, an HTML document may
contain multiple sections.  Each section begins with an HTML heading
element (<h1>...<h6>) that contains the title of the section or
sub-section.  The heading element may also show the logical relationship
of one section or sub-section to the sections and sub-sections before
and after it.

In MathML, certain elements are used to show the syntactic structure of
mathematical notation-for example, to make it clear that calculations
have to be performed in a specific order.  In SVG, certain elements
(such as the <g> element) are used to define groups of related graphical
objects and to provide information about the document's structure.

Some relationships are non-hierarchical.  For example, non-hierarchical
relationships may be created by links between one part of the document
and another part, or between the document and another resource.
</proposed>

I do *not* think this definition is ready for primte-time.  I'm not at
all certain that it accurately conveys the ideas of structure embodied
in SVG and MathML, for example.  I put it out here in hopes that we can
try to come up with a definition that's broad enough to encompass the
broad range of technologies we're concerned with.

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2004AprJun/0375.html#star

John

"Good design is accessible design."