RE: Bug #506

    I'm concerned that we're defining "structure" in a way that's still
very HTML-specific.  In the proposal below, I've tried to begin finding
ways of talking about structure for other languages/technologies such as
MathML and SVG.  I very much doubt that I've got it right, but I'm
hoping this will help expand the discussion.  I'll begin with a
proposal, and follow that with a dictionary definition of "structure"
from the online Merriam-Webster dictionary.

I've taken a look at the way the SVG spec [1] defines "document
structure," and also at the way the MathML spec [2] talks about what
presentation elements present.

<proposed>

structure

Structure refers to the set of elements and relationships that make up a
Web resource.  Elements may contain text, graphics, mathematical
equations, etc. Some elements may contain other elements, and may also
define relationships between two or more elements.   We User agents,
including Web browsers and some assistive technologies, make the
structure of Web resources evident to the user.

Some relationships are hierarchical.  For example, an HTML document may
contain multiple sections.  Each section begins with an HTML heading
element (<h1>...<h6>) that contains the title of the section or
sub-section.  The heading element may also show the logical relationship
of one section or sub-section to the sections and sub-sections before
and after it.

In MathML, certain elements are used to show the syntactic structure of
mathematical notation-for example, to make it clear that calculations
have to be performed in a specific order.  In SVG, certain elements
(such as the <g> element) are used to define groups of related graphical
objects and to provide information about the document's structure.

Some relationships are non-hierarchical.  For example, non-hierarchical
relationships may be created by links between one part of the document
and another part, or between the document and another resource.

</proposed>

Dictionary definition of structure (included here for informaiton only--
not part of the proposal)