Re: Minutes from ever

I agree with Kynn.  WAI needs to broaden participation in not just WCAG,
but all working groups.  Somehow we need to get other people interested and
I will raise this with coordination group.  I think one of the keys for
this to happen is everybody must be a good listener to hear other people's
point of view and then help developers find the means that accessibility
can be come apart of their thinking, rather than alienating some developers.

Jon

At 11:16 AM 11/27/2000 -0800, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>At 5:24 PM +0000 11/27/00, jonathan chetwynd wrote:
>>OK it is true some things are difficult to illustrate, and some cartoons
>>loose their meaning in the explanation.
>>However it seems that the wai staffers are determined to limit themselves to
>>the textual equivalents, and be satisfied with that.
>
>In my opinion, it's because we don't have many artists
>participating.  In fact, I think some WAI attitudes have specifically
>chased away artistic folks, and for that we are the weaker.
>
>WAI needs more artist participation -- and by artist I don't just
>mean visual, although they are likely the most common types we'd
>find here.
>
>I would love to see, for example, Scott McCloud (author of Understanding
>Comics) participate in WAI activities.  (He probably doesn't have
>the time, though, as WAI participation requires a lot of work for
>little tangible feedback...)  If you're not familiar with Scott's
>work, it's an excellent explanation of the connection between images
>and text embodied by the comic book medium.  His web site is
>http://www.scottmccloud.com/
>
>--Kynn
>--
>Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
>http://www.kynn.com/

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
MC-574
College of Applied Life Studies
1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820

Voice: (217) 244-5870
Fax: (217) 333-0248

E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu

WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund