Re: Proposal: delete 3.4 and 3.9

At 09:10 AM 11/28/00 -0500, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>Checkpoints 3.4 and 3.9 seem to me redundant with checkpoints 2.1 and 2.3 so
>I propose we delete them.
>
>The details...
>
>3.4 provides for labelling (in markup) important pieces of content. I think
>that this is the major focus of 2.3, and more properly belongs there.
>
>3.9 provides for labelling abbreviations and acronyms - this is a special
>case of that, and should become a technique.

If we are to perform radical surgery on the 3.x checkpoints we need to look
at more than those two. E.g. "3.5  Place distinguishing information at the
beginning of headings..." is arguably a "technique" as are some of the
others. The thrust of guideline 2 is "structure" and of 3 "content" - I think?

We seem to be challenged as to the viability of the concepts
structure/content/presentation and whether their separation should form
such a basic position in our guidelines. I remain persuaded that this
concept is central and think a fourth (called "action" or something to
denote "programmatic" and "interactive" elements) that involves scripts,
applets ("objects"?) might fill the dance card.

To that end we might (briefly?) discuss the possible separation of
checkpoints dealing with each of those "elelments" so that, e.g. GL2 groups
how to deal with structure, GL3 with content, GL4 with presentation, and
perhaps one for "objects"? Just a random barb to scratch on at 6 AM in the
Washington Wilderness!

---
Love.
                 ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE