RE: Sv: Question from Last Week's WCAG Teleconference

At 12:02 PM 10/26/2000 , Cynthia Shelly wrote:
>As I have said before, customized user interfaces based on user-selected preferences are not pie in the sky.  They can be built with today's technologies.  It's not even hard.
>    * put your content in a database (or XML)
>    * build several templates, one for each interface you want to expose
>    * use a form to gather user preferences
>    * use client or server script to save those preferences to a cookie (or database record indexed by a cookie)
>    * use server script to select the appropriate template based on the saved preferences
>    * use server script (or XSLT if you like) to assemble a page combining the content from the database with presentation from the selected template.
>    * put a link to the preference-gathering form somewhere visible, so users can change the preferences when they want to.
Cynthia is correct.  This can be done now, as she describes it.

(Actually, there are a few extra steps in there but I am reluctant to say
a lot more as they are part of Edapta's product strategy and competitive
advantage! :) )

>  I'm guessing that a lot of Edapta's value-add is in determining the set of preferences (Kynn, feel free to correct me).

Mmmmaybe. :)  Okay, you got me on that one.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                    http://kynn.com/
Director of Accessibility, Edapta               http://www.edapta.com/