RE: Sv: Question from Last Week's WCAG Teleconference

As I have said before, customized user interfaces based on user-selected
preferences are not pie in the sky.  They can be built with today's
technologies.  It's not even hard.

*	put your content in a database (or XML)
*	build several templates, one for each interface you want to expose
*	use a form to gather user preferences
*	use client or server script to save those preferences to a cookie
(or database record indexed by a cookie)
*	use server script to select the appropriate template based on the
saved preferences
*	use server script (or XSLT if you like) to assemble a page combining
the content from the database with presentation from the selected template.
*	put a link to the preference-gathering form somewhere visible, so
users can change the preferences when they want to.

The last bullet addresses Claus' concern.  I agree that users should be able
to control what they see. I even drafted a guideline about it <grin>.  I
just don't agree that they should be required to do so constantly.  I've
seen a great deal of usability data showing that most users find constant
decision making to be very difficult, consider "extra" information to be
noise, and are confused by complexity.  I suspect that this would be even
more true for cognitively disabled users.

I could build a site like this in a weekend with several brands of
commercially available software.  This is how customized portals, and many
other existing sites, work.

The interesting/difficult part is deciding what preferences to let a user
set.  The customizable portals ask if you want news or sports or stock
reports.  This is not useful for our purposes.  I'm guessing that a lot of
Edapta's value-add is in determining the set of preferences (Kynn, feel free
to correct me).  Voice vs. GUI is probably one, since it is very difficult
(perhaps impossible) to design a single interface that is both a good voice
interface and a good GUI.  Screen size is probably another.  Font size might
be another, or color depth, or reading level, etc. etc..  It might be a
useful task for WAI to develop such a list.

It's true that these things are not currently exposed by default in an HTTP
transaction, even when the operating system does collect them.  That does
not mean that a particular site developer can't ASK THE USER these questions
once, save the answers, and then tailor the presentation for future visits
based on that data.

If this data is later available as part of CC/PP or some other standard,
that would be great.  It would make things easier, and promote consistency
across sites.  But it's not required to achieve the effect.