the "text in images" thread - why it won't work

Two problems and a counter proposal (so I'm not only being a pain)

first problem -It is too open to abuse

Lets take the case of Hebrew - a BIDI (bi-directional languages)

There are (as we know) two normal ways to do it.
a) make a site in visual Hebrew - problem: Visual Hebrew, the writer (or the
converter program) has to take care of
breaking the lines. So you have to use absolute width with page layout
tables. If the browser makes break the line by itself, the text will become
unreadable. People don't have Hebrew installed on their PC the whole thing
is
gibberish. Not accessible.
b) make a site in logical Hebrew, Unfortunately this is not implement by the
older browsers, again you often get gibberish.

This is a real case were "specialized fonts and text treatments are
required"
But  there is a third option _that_many_people_do_. They make the whole dame
page a graphic, and it works fine for anyone who is using a visual standard
monitor!

Now lets look at the proposal.
"You may use text in images for logos and limited accent elements where
specialized fonts and text treatments are required and cannot be achieved
with CSS, provided that you provide a textual equivalent to the content
contained in the image."
So they have to put in an alt tag, which they do, with a sentence summery
that perhaps captures the intent of the page. And they have to argue why
this is a limited accent elements. maybe they will just do most of the site
as a graphic, and a few words thrown in. But this page is inaccessible. It
just is.
 The whole point of this guideline over 1.1 is to prevent this from
happening, and it just excuses it.

Problem two- The proposal is unnecessarily restrictive.

I know a site (for dyslexia) with a background picture of every possible way
to misspell dyslexia. I think it is great. But it would be prohibited -
unnecessarily

I also have seen kids sites with "ABC" pictures - also out (or at east
really difficult to d with CSS to give no added benefit to anyone), why? No
content is lost other then a visual effect that is always lost when
transcribing a picture to an text equivalent. Doing CSS positioning to
repeatedly print ABC in the background will be a barrier to accessibility,
No one wants to hear "ABC ABC ABC ABC....."

So again my counter proposal. Let us capture the intent of what we mean and
what we can tolerate.

"You may use text in images when the text does not convey its literal
meaning, but has a more grafical function, if the effect cannot be achieved
with CSS, (as in the case of some for logos and limited accent elements)
provided that you provide a textual equivalent to the content contained in
the image."
This may in some cases, compromise on flexibility and consideration to
designers. But let us not compromise on accessibility.

Otherwise the guidelines could become an excuse to make inaccessible sites!

unfortunately, i probably won't be able to make the telecon, so here's my
one minute on the proposal

i would add

quote
provided that you provide a textual equivalent to the content contained in
the image. (Refer to Checkpoint 1.1)
unquote

to the end of the note, which, as proposed, reads,
quote
You may use text in images for logos and limited accent elements where
specialized fonts and text treatments are required and cannot be achieved
with CSS.
unquote

amended, it would read

quote
You may use text in images for logos and limited accent elements where
specialized fonts and text treatments are required and cannot be achieved
with CSS, provided that you provide a textual equivalent to the content
contained in the image. (Refer to Checkpoint 1.1)
unquote

i cede back the remainder of my time to the rest of the WG...

gregory

Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at a
blank piece of paper until the drops of blood
form on your forehead.            -- Gene Fowler
Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
WebMonster and Minister of Propaganda, VICUG NYC
      <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/>