Handline References in Guidelines [Was: Re: Last Call for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines]

Misha Wolf wrote:

> Review of:
>     Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
>     1999-02-26
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH-19990226
>
> 17.  References
>
>      Suggestion:
>      Change all W3C references to point to the "latest version" of each
>      document, eg:
>      "http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424" ->
>      "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"
>
>      The current references make it less likely that checkpoint 13.1 will be
>      adhered to.

Hello Misha,

To address this we've adopted the following solution [1]

     a) Add a link from checkpoint 13.1 ("Use the latest W3C specs")
        to the references section of the guidelines.

     b) In the references section, add a statement about
        where to find the current versions of W3C specs and a link
        to the TR page.

     c) The list of references will contain dated versions so
        that readers will know what existed when the guidelines
        were created.

     d) To each entry in the list, add a link to the latest
        version of that spec.

 - Ian

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/1999JanMar/0486.html

--