defining Web accessibility

From: Sarah Horton <Sarah.Horton@Dartmouth.EDU>
Date: 29 Jan 2003 10:47:02 EST
To: w3c-wai-eo@w3.org

Hello! I took a stab at reworking our definition of Web accessibility. Mainly I took Judy's language and moved it around some. Feel free to add, edit, shred!

Best,
Sarah

What is Web Accessibility?

An accessible Web can be used by people with disabilities.

To this end, Web accessibility is an effort to integrate accessible components into the Web. These components include:
- content that is presented in a way that can be perceived, operated, navigated, and understood by people with disabilities;
-software used to access the Web that can be used by people with disabilities, and that works with technologies that some people with disabilities use; and
-software used to build Web sites that can be used by people with disabilities, and that supports the creation of accessible Web sites.

Web accessibility also:
- benefits other users of the Web; and
- is a requirement for some Web sites and Web applications in certain countries.