Re: Web Accessibility browser testsuite???

>I would say that it satisfies the first priority of accessible - the
>information is available. So I would say it is. Is it good?

Yes, and to get back to the general test suite question, I think it would
be good to address that for all examplar cases.  Not necessarily to have a
poor/good/excellent scale, but at least to have a statement of the problems
or advantages of the examplars.

Len

At 05:12 PM 1/27/99 -0500, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>I would say that it satisfies the first priority of accessible - the
>information is available. So I would say it is. Is it good? Aaah, that is
>another question. I would ask some screenreader users that question - I
>find it good, because I can do stuff like run it on a magnified screen.
>
>Charles
>
>On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Leonard R. Kasday wrote:
>
>  You're right!  Indeed, "IMAGEMAP" shows on the status line when you're on
>  an imagemap link.  It's the same in lynx 2.7.1, which is what I have.
>  However, I had to switch to "expert" mode.
>
>  As to your rhetorical question about whether it's accessible to access
>  technology.  I suppose it's strictly speaking "accessible" to access
>  technology, in the sense that in principle you can hear it, but with an
>  ordinary screen reader you'd have to set it to always speak the status
>  line, which usually is just the URL which a user would not want to listen
>  to all the time.  That's a real annoyance I would think.
>
>  Hmmm. On the other hand, if you have a screen reader that alerts you when a
>  particular region of the screen changes, you could set a little 1x1 window
>  in the lower left hand corner and have it always spoken when it changed.
>  Then as the user went from link to link nothing would be spoken--because it
>  would remain "h"--till s/he reached an imagemap, at which point it would
>  say "I".  Or if it hit mailto: in which case it would say "m".
>
>  The old DOS readers had something like that feature.  I don't know if that
>  works in a lynx or telnet window in win98.  Experienced DOS screenreader
>  users will know all this better than I.
>
>  Anyway, thats better than having to listen to http blah blah  most of the
>  time.
>
>  So now I get to ask rhetorically: is it "accessible" when the user has to
>  have that much special knowledge and make such a special setup?

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Universal Design Engineer, Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Adjunct Professor, Electrical Engineering
Temple University

Ritter Hall Annex, Room 423, Philadelphia, PA 19122
kasday@acm.org
(215} 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)