Re: Translations

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 22:22:26 +0100, amaylum@tiscali.co.uk
<amaylum@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to assist in translating pages but I'm not sure how you use
> the mailing lists to make that request.
>
> I have a pgae already translated but
> don't know where to go from here?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Alistair.

Dear Alistair

Thanks for writing.

You will find what we generally suggest people translate by reading
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Translation/#docs

When you find a document for which a translation in your language doesn't
exist, let the w3c-translators@w3.org mailing list know that start a
translation (there are templates provided in the page above).

The basic "how-to" is to:

1) copy the original document,
2) translate it (make sure to add hreflang="en" to any link to English
material that you do not translate),
3) add a disclaimer (usually near the top) to indicate that this is a
translation which may contain errors and that the normative version is the
original English document hosted at the W3C website [with a link to the
original document],
4) host it on your website,
5) check validity [1] and links [2], and
6) send the URI and title in target language to w3c-translators@w3.org

[1] http://validator.w3.org/unicorn/
[2] http://validator.w3.org/checklink/

   Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Communications Team  -  http://www.w3.org
      W3C/ERCIM - B219 - 2004, rte des lucioles - 06410 Biot - FR
mailto:coralie@w3.org +33492387590 http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/