Re: finished arabic translation of web stylesheets homepage

Hello Axel,

On Wednesday 26 August 2009, Axel Friedrich wrote:
> Hello Bert,
>
> we 've reworked the entire site now, most of the points you mentioned
> in your mail should be fixed. Here the shortcuts:
>
> http://www.webstyles.ae.org/Style/index.html
> http://www.webstyles.ae.org/Style/CSS/index.html
> http://www.webstyles.ae.org/Style/CSS/learning.html
> http://www.webstyles.ae.org/Style/CSS/Buttons/index.html
> http://www.webstyles.ae.org/Style/CSS/Buttons/Menu/index.html
>
> Hopefully another arabic-speaking reader of this list can check this
> translation. I'm unsure with some "english/arabic" mixed paragraphs
> (we worked mostly with <span dir="ltr"> if there was no surrounding
> tag), but as I already said, the translator is egyptian...and I think
> he knows what looks "good" or "bad". But a second opinion would be
> great.

I just had a native speaker look at the text and she confirmed that the
Arabic is indeed perfectly fine. (I didn't expect otherwise in a
translation coming from you.) But she didn't speak English, so she
couldn't say whether the mixed parts make sense.

Myself, I don't read Arabic, but I can look at other things. :-)

The first translation has a translated navigation menu (<div
class=banner>), the second and third have the menu in English. I don't
know which is better, but I wonder why there are two versions.

In the translated navigation menu in the first document, the
words "Tech. reports" are translated as "Tech. تقارير". I wonder if
that is on purpose, or because the translator wasn't sure what "Tech."
stood for. (It stands for Technical. I've added an ABBR element to the
source to avoid confusion in the future.)

Some of the dates in http://www.webstyles.ae.org/Style/CSS/index.html
are changed:

A notation such as "2009-04-24" stands for the date "24 April 2009"
written as a so-called "ISO date." I don't mind whether they are left
unchanged in the translation or replaced by a localized date, but it is
strange to see some of them unchanged and some changed a little bit.

A number of phrases are left untranslated. Not all of them are technical
terms, many are intended as normal English. If the translator isn't
sure about the intention of some text, I'm always happy to explain, or
try to phrase a sentence differently.

Bert