Re: New Greek translation

Hello Dimitris,

On Monday 03 December 2007 11:19, Dimitris Papadopoulos wrote:
> Dear Helen,
>
> I have finished to translate http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/learning
>
> Greek translation is here
> http://www.w3c-gr.com/Style/CSS/learning.htm

I've added a link to the translation from the English original.

But I found one small error and I have two questions related to the
style sheets that the document uses:

1) In the mark-up, the <html> element has an attribute lang=en. That
means that the document is in English (en). In fact, it is in Greek, so
the attribute should be lang=el.

(I also noted that certain things, such as the <title> and the hidden
paragraphs, are not translated. That's your choice, of course, but if
you add lang=el at the top, those untranslated elements should get a
lang=en attribute to say they are not in Greek.)

2) The style sheet automatically adds the text "Local links" at the top
of the right-hand menu. I think that text should be translated as well,
even though it is in the style sheet, and not in the document.

The way I've done it for some other translations is that the translated
documents link to the original style sheet at
http://www.w3.org/Style/threepart-f.css and
http://www.w3.org/Style/threepart.css and then I put the translated
text directly into those style sheets.

You have made copies of the style sheets. That's fine, but then I think
you should translate the style sheet (threepart.css) :-)

I don't know what the translation of "local links" is. Babelfish
says "τοπικές συνδέσεις". If that is correct, the line that I would put
in the style sheet is, near some already existing lines for other
languages:

    div.map:lang(el):before {content: "τοπικές συνδέσεις"}

3) The links to the alternative style sheets "Oldstyle" until "Plain"
are better kept absolute. They are there as an example of how to use
the W3C Core Styles (http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/Core/), which have
some server-side magic to deal with certain old browsers.

It is not a big deal anymore. Those old browsers have all but
disappeared. But if it is easy for you to change the links, I think it
would be better.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your work!

Bert