Re: Translation to Spanish of the document "Mobile Web Best Practices 1.0"

Thanks for this information; I am sorry I did not know of this procedure.

So basically if someone translates or wishes to translate an unstable
document they are to contact the relevant working group.

Thanks.

(Contacting the relevant working group is something I might try again and
again I guess.
But anyway . . . )

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com

>Rotan,
>
>indeed, we had this discussion before... The main problem we faced was
>the fact that, at some point, the translation database contained a
>number of, essentially, obsolete documents and, often, the community in
>that specific language did not really realize that the document they
>used was not the translation of a stable document...
>
>The agreement was that translations of intermediate level documents,
>that are clearly very useful for the relevant working groups, should be
>maintained by the relevant group, listed and maintained there (some
>groups do that). The 'central' database would then stick to stable
>documents.
>
>[Of course, there might be problems even with the current policy if, for
>example, W3C publishes new versions of, say, the XML spec. The database
>tries to keep track of these and displays a note on that]
>
>Personally, I do not think we should start a long discussion here:-) It
>does not occur often. (Once or twice a year, maybe.)
>
>Ivan
>
>Rotan Hanrahan wrote:
> > I think it rather unfortunate that valuable translations are not made
>available to the wider community until the normative document is a Rec.
>Would it not be better for these translations to at least be advertised
>somewhere, accompanied by heavy caveats that the master document is not yet
>official? It is possible that non-English speakers may find some obscure
>issue that was overlooked by the original authors, and it would be
>beneficial for this to be identified prior to the transition to
>Recommendation. It would also be valuable to those non-English speakers who
>wish to contribute to the necessary implementation and interoperability
>phases of new Recommendations.
> >
> > Are there many more translations in waiting? How much of the global
>community is being ignored while complex documents spend time in CR/PR
>limbo? Are volunteer translators put off by the fact that their efforts
>might not see the light of day for a long time?
> >
> > I don't mean to start a big debate. I'm just curious.
> >
> > ---Rotan.

Win a Zune™—make MSN® your homepage for your chance to win!
http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline