Re: Translation to Spanish of the document "Mobile Web Best Practices 1.0"

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 05:24:09 +0800, CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, this is not the first time that this issue has been brought up--and with
> no response from the demi-gods who run the W3C.  I've brought it up at least
> once and prior to that another translator brought it up.

This issue comes up pretty regularly. I think that Coralie has done the right thing - note that the current policy doesn't allow working drafts to go into the translation database, and notify people who might be interested that the translation exists.

But I think, for the very good reasons that have been outlined in this thread (and previous threads) that the policy of not noting working draft translations is a very bad one. The reasonng always offered is that a replacement draft might not be translated, so people using the translation will be workng from erroneous information. Although I wonder what kind of second-hand guesswork they will work from if there is just nothing.

I really think it is time this policy was changed. As a member of the W3C advisory committee, I will raise this formally in that arena.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com          Try Opera 9.1     http://opera.com