Re: Translation to Spanish of the document "Mobile Web Best Practices 1.0"

Hi, this is not the first time that this issue has been brought up--and with
no response from the demi-gods who run the W3C.  I've brought it up at least
once and prior to that another translator brought it up.

I agree; how can people comment on a working draft, etc. unless it is in
their own language; the thing is it is tempting to correct errors as you
translate (but then your readers cannot give feedback on the
errors/typos/little stylistic errors; you have to if you want to be
responsible); alternately, of course, you can try to translate the error--if
it is readily translatable (I find most errors in English do translate into
French somehow, at least for me)--but for me, in working on a translation of
one working draft (which I've temporarily abandoned, but may go back to, as
I do not have the go-ahead at all), I tended to have more fun
over-translating the errors, if that makes any sense.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com

>I agree. It does help people participate in the process when they can read
>the document in their own language. Translating is also good as a way to
>root out mistakes and typos. I translated a draft WAI document that has
>been a fairly stable draft for the past five years [1]. Otherwise it
>wouldn't have been available to many people. There should be some mechanism
>for collecting information about these translations.
>
>[1] http://www.infoescena.es/achuter/web/w3cdocs/pwd_use_web.html
>
>Alan Chuter,
>Accessibility Consultant,
>Technosite (Fundosa Group).
>Email: achuter@technosite.es
>Web: www.technosite.es
>Tel: +34 91 121 03 35
>Skype: achuter1
>

>Rotan Hanrahan escribió:
>>I think it rather unfortunate that valuable translations are not made
>>available to the wider community until the normative document is a Rec.
>>Would it not be better for these translations to at least be advertised
>>somewhere, accompanied by heavy caveats that the master document is not
>>yet official? It is possible that non-English speakers may find some
>>obscure issue that was overlooked by the original authors, and it would be
>>beneficial for this to be identified prior to the transition to
>>Recommendation. It would also be valuable to those non-English speakers
>>who wish to contribute to the necessary implementation and
>>interoperability phases of new Recommendations.
>>
>>Are there many more translations in waiting? How much of the global
>>community is being ignored while complex documents spend time in CR/PR
>>limbo? Are volunteer translators put off by the fact that their efforts
>>might not see the light of day for a long time?
>>
>>I don't mean to start a big debate. I'm just curious.
>>
>>---Rotan.

Win a Zune™—make MSN® your homepage for your chance to win!
http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline